In today’s society, it’s easy for anyone to avoid walking. There are drive-thru windows at many businesses that allow people to avoid walking inside for service. Also, many grocery stores, restaurants, and other businesses provide parking spaces near the entry doors for the convenience of visitors. In short, without being aware of it, seniors can avoid a lot of valuable opportunities to participate in some walking exercise. This often leads to a sedentary lifestyle that can result in health problems. Fortunately, there are ways that seniors can change their habits to enjoy all of the benefits of walking.
One of the greatest benefits of walking is its effect on a senior’s emotional health. Walking can invigorate seniors and keep their minds sharp. A routine of energetic walking can also reduce the chances of developing health conditions such as heart disease and diabetes. Regular Walking also helps a senior to avoid problems with their joints. An adequate walking program generally involves thirty minutes of energetic walking about five days a week. Of course, a senior should always consult with his or her doctor to see if this type of walking program would be a wise idea. The individual’s doctor may even have some other constructive exercise suggestions to offer.
Along with a senior’s physical and emotional health, walking can also help them to stay social. Some seniors enjoy mall-walking with a group a few times a week. Seniors can get to know some other people while staying in shape. Other seniors prefer to join senior centers where there are established walking programs for members. They often take walks where seniors are able to enjoy beautiful, natural surroundings. Making a few new friends in a walking group is a great way for seniors to have some fun and feel better at the same time.
Finally, walking is an inexpensive habit for seniors on a budget. Comfortable clothes and a pair of supportive gym shoes are all that is needed. Once a senior begins to feel the enormous benefits of walking, he or she will not want to miss out on an opportunity to take a few extra steps and feel comfortable.
- Advantages of Walking Exercise for Seniors: Read about the various benefits of walking for seniors.
- Exercise Benefits for Seniors: Find out several reasons why it is beneficial to a senior citizen’s health to get adequate exercise.
- Information about Physical Exercise for Seniors: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers some guidelines for exercising seniors.
- Tips for Seniors Who Want to Start Walking Exercise: Senior citizens can learn about the proper clothing to wear and how fast to walk..
- Seniors and Their Walking Speed: Check out a study that looks at the connection between the speed of an older adult’s walk and his or her well-being.
- Walking and Good Health: Learn about walking as an aerobic exercise and the benefits of this simple exercise.
- A Study Regarding Walking and Heart Disease Prevention: Find out the basics of a study that looked at the walking habits of older adults and the incidence of heart disease.
By: Classy Walking Canes